Sunday, March 30, 2008

Wally's Last Stand.

Well, I sat down to one last serving of Wally's Burgers 'homefry goodness' today before Vancouver's original burger stand on Kingsway shut down for good tomorrow. At least we tried to sit...there was a line-up out the door when we got there. But after waiting pateintly for almost a half hour, we got our fare (I: Deluxe Wagon with extra cheese and a weiner and onion rings and a banana milkshake; she: a Wagon with cheese and fries and a vanilla milkshake) and then proceeded to feed our faces:


Just look at that line-up! They'll be waiting longer than we were...


Chomp!

Bittersweet is a word I've thrown around to describe past closings of my favourite haunts, but this time I truly felt its headiness. While savouring my spread, I found myself wishing Wally's line-ups were like this all along, instead of just leading up to its closure - perhaps it could have been saved. As a result of today's increased demand, the food was not up to snuff: the burger was greasier than usual and the fries were not as crisp as they should have been. Those were small details, though, and I didn't let it keep me from experiencing 'burger nirvana' once more.


Mmm...this one was in best burger buddy Scourge's honour.

Well, Wally's, I know you won't be back this way again, and I probably deserve it for not visiting you as often as I should have. But don't think it was because I forsook you; I just thought you'd always be around.


Spike in front of Wally's sign one last time, March 30, 2008.

So long Wally's, it's been good to know ya. Burger pigouts will not be the same without you...

Farewell.

Spike

P.S. - Any bidders for your sign?

No comments: