Tuesday, March 4, 2008

An open love letter to Wally's Burgers...

Dear Wally's Burgers,

Your milkshakes and the Deluxe Wagon (with a weiner and onion rings on it, of course) are still the best Vancouver has to offer. Sadly that will soon no longer be the case.

Vera's and Tomahawk can't console me - they've tried and failed. Their product just doesn't hold a candle to the homefry goodness you serve at good ol' Wally's. It almost goes without saying that you will be sorely missed.

We shared so many good times. If only I could have something, some sort of physical artifact, to remember you by. I wonder how much your sign will be sold for.

Anyway, Wally's, I don't know what's going to become of you and if anyone else really cares you're leaving, but I know every time I sat at one of your half dozen rarely-cleaned tables, I was at home.

Although he is miles away, I know my best burger buddy, Scourge, agrees wholeheartedly with me. I'll go make (at least) one last pilgrimage to you in Scourge's honour.

Love and fondest wishes,

Spike
xo8


Spike at Wally's, ca. February 2007

(Note: Wally's Burgers's final day of operation will be Monday, March 31. Go there while you can. Seriously. If you've never been to Vancouver's best burger stand (2703 Kingsway), now's your last chance to try it and say, "I loved Wally's, and then those heartless bastards had 'er shut down." See full story at: http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=df8420f8-3aca-4777-8bd8-63fad54fa7f0&k=70279 )

No comments: