Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Swimming in a Great Lake of harmonies...

In a stroke of serendipity, I happened to find myself wandering on West 4th on the very same drizzly afternoon that the pride of Wainfleet, Ontario, Great Lake Swimmers, were doing an intimate in-store performance at my favourite record shop, Zulu Records.

The session was in honour of the May release of their fifth full-length, New Wild Everywhere  the lead-off single, "Easy Come Easy Go", you're probably already familiar with if you listen to CBC or the Peak.

The main set consisted of songs from the new album, which I must say is darn tight. I managed to shoot this video on my phone of their two best songs which also made up their encore. First was my absolute fave GLS song, "Your Rocky Spine":


...then Tony Dekker and company finished off with their biggest hit, "Pulling on a Line":


Unfortunately, my vantage point being so close to the speaker, the more amped-up final number did a number on my poor camera phone mic, so the audio on "Pulling on a Line" is not as good as I would have liked. Nevertheless, it is good enough to give you a general idea of how great GLS are live.

I hope you enjoy these as much as I did. Be sure to catch Great Lake Swimmers when the play the Commodore May 11.

No comments: